Message: The Adam Family History!
Message Text: Genesis 4-5 & Selected
- All the history of this planet, everything that has been and will be … is all about God. He dominates the grand stage; God is the big picture.
- Eugene Peterson writes: First, God. God is the subject of life. God is foundational for living. If we don’t have a sense of the primacy of God, we will never get it right, get life right, get our lives right. Not God at the margins; not God as an option; not God on the weekends. God at center and circumference; God first and last; God, God, God.
- And often we do not get it right. A great part of the human experience is to believe that we are at center stage. If everything is okay in my world, then everything is okay. If I am not happy, if things are not going my way, then something is drastically wrong with this world.
- It seems to be an easy thing for a human to forget who God is. Even Christians it seems.
- In the theater a bit player is a person with a very small acting role with just a few lines to speak. We are bit players in God’s universe, but sometimes we demand the spotlight, the attention, the focus. We are very important people you must understand.
- You have maybe heard the expression that history is “His” story, the story of God.
- We will never fit together the pieces of the puzzle of this world—joy and sadness, failure and success, love and hate, kindness and cruelty, wisdom and foolishness, life and death—until we understand that the crowning moment of everything … all earth history, every person, every event, every circumstance directs us to God in his glory.
- We will see in our text this morning that Cain didn’t realize this. The world he saw through the grid of his darkened mind was a mass of confusion and lies. He didn’t know who he was. He didn’t know who God was. He was a bit player demanding his way with the Star of the show, and when God refused, he was so angry that he could murder someone. So he did.