The judgment is yet to come but the divine verdict is in.
Light came into the world and people loved the darkness rather than the light.
- A battle began on Earth about 6,000 years ago in the Garden of Eden. Humans decided that they didn’t need to listen only to God for wisdom and knowledge.
- Adam and Eve, under the council of a serpent, disobeyed God and pursued wisdom apart from God as they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. And humankind has since followed suit. Every one of us. The pattern had been set.
- We thought we would be wise, but instead became fools. Our intellect was crippled and our hearts darkened. Now many are “playing chicken” with God when it comes to their eternal destiny. Spoiler Alert—God won’t blink!
- God says the way is narrow. In fact he tells us that there is only one way to be saved from his coming day of judgment. And that is to believe in his Son.
- But the pretending continues … and the defiance … and the contention. Humans love darkness rather than light, not because that track is a superior intellectual approach, but because their deeds are evil. And most, it seems, even sometimes church folk, don’t want a holy God telling them any different.
- We, as in the human race, stand guilty and condemned before a holy God … now. Not later. The hour of judgment is yet to come, but the divine verdict is in. Guilty as charged. And part of the terrifying nature of our state of being under God’s holy wrath now is that most humans are oblivious to their condition.
- We are so glib with life and our thoughts of God and salvation and what we call “life after death.” “Well, I believe this.” And “I believe that.” And “I have a right to my opinion, and I think …”
- Many are like an infant playing with her favorite toy in the middle of a busy sixteen-lane freeway, oblivious to the danger at hand.
- You can pretend, believe what you want, live in a world fashioned by what you think is right and wrong, good and evil, but one day you will know the truth. Jesus the Son of God is coming again. Every knee will bow. Every tongue will confess that he is Lord.
Message Title: Discovering Our Post-Eden World: Condemned!
Message Text: Genesis 3:9, John 3:16-21